Veterans Bonus Program - Online Application
Instructions for completing the on-line application
If you have not completed the eligibility tool – we strongly recommend you return to the
Eligibility Tool for determination of your eligibility.
This process will require 30-45 minutes of time to enter your information. Your application will be
saved when you are assigned a claim number on the last page of the on-line application tool.
All data entered will be lost if you fail to complete the entire application.
WHEN COMPLETING THE ON-LINE APPLICATION USE “TAB” KEY OR THE “MOUSE” TO NAVIGATE.
What You Will Need
Please be prepared to send the following documents with your application. These documents will assist as you answer questions on the on-line application tool:
- Active Duty Service Members – military documents showing dates served in-country or anywhere else in the world.
- Veteran – DD-214 (includes blocks 23-30) for the period(s) when you were deployed in-country or anywhere else in the world for which you are applying.
- Proof of current Ohio residency.
- Proof of residency in Ohio at time of entry in the U.S. armed forces (can be located in block 7b of your DD214).
- Retired due to Injury or Disability – DD-214 (blocks 23-30) and Physical Evaluation Board decision or VA rating showing combat related injury.
- Family Member – please provide a copy of Casualty Report (DD1300) if death occurred while on active military duty; a death certificate if veteran died after discharge and a DD-214 (that includes blocks 23-30) for veteran; and one of the following documents which apply to you:
- Spouse: marriage certificate to veteran.
- Child: child(ren) birth certificate or adoption records identifying veteran as parent, and if
applicable death certificate of deceased parent.
- Parent: veteran's birth certificate or adoption records, and if applicable death certificate
of deceased parent.
- Guardian – if Veteran is living but has been determined incompetent, please provide legal guardianship documents; if veteran is deceased and death occurred while on active duty provide a copy of Casualty Report (DD1300); provide a death certificate if veteran died after discharge and a DD-214 (that includes blocks 23-30) for veteran.
Your application will not be processed for compensation until we have received your signed, acknowledged or notarized application and the required documents indicated above.
Please send your completed application and required documents to:
Ohio Department of Veterans Services
Veterans Bonus Program
Post Office Box 373
Sandusky, OH 44871
For additional information on the program, please refer to our Web site at: www.veteransbonus.ohio.gov or call 1-877-OHIO VET (1-877-644-6838).